- Seriously, this is BIG! Tim Eggert ’02, alumnus of the Burnett Honors College and UCF College of Arts and Humanties, took his painting skills to the Orlando BIG Chair and turned it into a throne fit for Knight Nation. If his name sounds familiar, you might recognize Tim’s recent work as the designer for the new City of Orlando flag.
2. Following the Knights just got a whole lot easier, thanks to a newly-updated mobile app! Download it now to stay up to date with all things UCF Athletics.
3. How has your life changed since graduation? Show us, and you could win some sweet prizes! Enter our #KnightsThenVsNow contest on Instagram by this Friday – just make sure you check out the official rules for entry first!
4. We’re excited to share that UCF President Dale Whittaker will join us for the UCF ChargeOn Tailgate at UNC! Tailgate festivities will feature special appearances by UCF fan favorites, a catered breakfast buffet, three drink tickets per adult, a retractable stadium banner and a spirit sticker. Register now.
5. Speaking of our fearless leader, our UCF Alumni family wishes a very happy birthday to President Whittaker. May it be another great year of transforming lives and livelihoods.
1. “It’s not enough to have a successful career. Success should be defined in terms of doing everything you can so everyone in your community has the same opportunities.”
That advice is from NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who was one of the speakers during commencement weekend. Read the Orlando Sentinel feature.
2. The latest issue of Pegasus magazine is out, and its cover story explains how UCF’s history department is working with Florida veterans to preserve their stories.
3. If you’re heading to Atlanta for the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, remember to check out the complete list of bowl weekend activities at ucfalumni.com/bowlbound.
4. UCF research may lead toward an exciting future where the blind see again, neurostimulator implants help relieve chronic pain and war veterans feel the sensation of touch in their prosthetic limb. Melanie Coathup, PhD, an internationally recognized specialist in bone regeneration and implant design, has been hired to lead the university’s new Prosthetic Interfaces faculty research cluster, which will work on big problems like these.
5. This is the last Five Things post of 2017. UCF Alumni wishes you and yours a happy holiday season and a great new year! Go Knights!
1. Headed to the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl? Start off the New Year celebrating with Knights fans of all ages at the UCF ChargeOn Tailgate in the heart of downtown Atlanta at the College Football Hall of Fame. You can expect special appearances by UCF fan favorites as well a drink ticket, breakfast buffet, fan giveaways and cash bar beverages. Register today!
2. As UCF’s presidential search committee aims to find the university’s fifth president, your opinion matters to them. UCF will host four opportunities for the campus and Central Florida communities to provide input at public forums. The university has also launched an online survey, available at www.ucf.edu/leadership/presidential-search.
3. Kyle Dencker ’08 ’16MA, a computer science teacher at Timber Creek High School, is now in the running for Florida top teacher honors after being named Orange County’s Teacher of the Year last week.
4. About 3,980 UCF students are expected to graduate in three ceremonies Dec. 15-16 at the CFE Arena. Former NBA star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is among this semester’s commencement speakers.
5. In case you missed it, UCF Football announced Josh Heupel as the Knights’ 11th head coach. He quickly named Randy Shannon as the new defensive coordinator. Read what they’re saying about this dynamic duo.