1. UCF will be hosting the Statewide Job Fair on Thursday, May 10, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at CFE Arena. The Statewide Job Fair is an opportunity for employers to recruit students and alumni from 10 of Florida’s state universities. For more information about the job fair, please contact UCF Career Services at 407-823-2361 or [email protected] You may also visit the Florida Career Centers website.
2. Don’t miss UCF sophomore Hannah Sage in theJeopardy! College Championship beginning Monday, April 9, during kickoff for the quarterfinal competition. Representing one of only three public universities in the competition, the Burnett Honors College student says she is thrilled to share her love for UCF on a national scale.
3. UCF was featured in the Orlando Sentinel for a culinary medicine course, a class that’s becoming more common in U.S. medical schools in order to combat the obesity epidemic and other chronic diseases. UCF’s a four-week elective is a collaboration between Nemours Children’s Hospital and UCF College of Medicine, Rosen College of Hospitality Management and YMCA of Central Florida.
4. Over the weekend, a group of UCF students showcased its oil-cleanup invention at the National Sustainable Design Expo in Washington D.C. The students’ high-tech sponges clean up ocean oil spills by soaking up oil but repelling water, leaving behind no toxic byproduct. It’s a green solution with a bonus – the oil could be recycled for future use. Now that’s BIG!
5. All this week you can catch UCF’s Celebrates the Arts showcase at the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts in downtown Orlando. The festival consists of free or low-cost presentations by the School of Visual Arts & Design and the School of Performing Arts. Many events feature collaborations across the university and community partners. Full Schedule of Events
Christopher Iaciofoli, ’03 | Director of Operations, Red Lobster Seafood Co.
The UCF Alumni Association and Rosen College of Hospitality Management presented their 2015 Professional Achievement Award to Chris Iaciofoli at the annual Black & Gold Gala on Oct. 22.
Since March 2014, Chris has been director of operations at the Red Lobster Seafood Company.
After working as a restaurant manager, general manager and operations director for the company, Red Lobster created a position in 2007 just for him — as director of operations excellence for all 689 restaurants.
Both he and his wife, Joanna Marra Iaciofoli, ’03, graduated from the Rosen College of Hospitality Management, and both were Harris Rosen Endowed Fund scholarship recipients.
In 2008, Chris received the college’s Rising Star Award.
On May 9, College of Business Administration Dean Paul Jarley presented a bachelor’s degree in marketing to Daniel Berreth, ’15, UCF’s 250,000th graduate (see photo above).
Last week, the UCF Student Government Association announced plans for a new way to tailgate this football season. Knights on the Mall gives fans an opportunity to reserve spaces on Memory Mall, as well as enjoy live music, cooling zones, and more.
The UCF Foundation named its new vice president for alumni relations and development on May 8. Michael Morsberger, the vice president for development and alumni relations at George Washington, will officially take on his new role June 1.
The next UCF MedTalk is May 13 at the Downtown PourHouse, where Dr. Sampath Parthasarathy will discuss “Wine, the Sun and Food: Keys to a Long Life.” Join this informal talk, hosted by the UCF College of Medicine and UCF Alumni Association, and learn something new!
Looking for a job? Head over to the CFE Arena on Thursday, May 14, for a statewide job fair.