1. Matt Williams ’16 is making UCF proud in the NBA Summer League with the Miami Heat. After netting 14 points on July 6, he started against San Antonio on July 8. The Heat have a game at 4:30 p.m. today against the Wizards, which will air on NBA TV. Williams is one of more than 10 Knights who started professional careers in their sport in 2016-17.
2. Florida sunshine making it hard to read your phone screen while you’re spending your summer days at the beach? UCF professor of optics and photonics Shin-Tson Wu, PhD, and his team of researchers developed a film that coats cellphone screens to cut down the glare. Their inspiration? The eyes of a moth.
3. A team of UCF researchers has discovered a potential new weapon in the fight against tuberculosis, which is one of the top 10 causes of death worldwide. Their research studied extracts of sponges and other marine organisms to see if they could kill the dormant tuberculosis bacteria. Findings of the study published in June in the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.
4. An associate professor of computer science at UCF recently had his startup get picked up by Uber.
5. A new restaurant is expected to open on University Boulevard this week. Toasted’s menu features a variety of types of grilled cheese sandwiches as well as burgers and salads. The restaurant plans to hire 20 new workers and has signed a five-year lease.