1. Nominate a worthy Knight before Feb. 9 for UCF Alumni’s 30 Under 30 awards! The 30 Under 30 Awards program recognizes outstanding young alumni who have found success in their professional and personal endeavors. Nominees must be alumni of the university, but anyone can submit a nomination. Note: Award candidates must be age 29 or under on May 19, 2018.
2. The UCF Board of Trustees voted unanimously last week to extend the tuition reduction, which started this spring, through the spring 2019 semester for students from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands who have been displaced by Hurricane Maria. “We should view this as an opportunity to serve,” said UCF President John C. Hitt.
3. Rollins College’s prestigious Winter Park Institute will host “A Conversation with UCF President John Hitt,” moderated by Rollins President Grant Cornwell. Expect a thought-provoking talk on an astonishing career in education. The event is Thursday, Feb. 8, at 7:30 p.m. in the Knowles Memorial Chapel on the Rollins campus. This is a free event – no tickets required, however, space is limited. Doors open at 7 p.m.
4. The UCF FAIRWINDS Alumni Center is holding a symposium on athlete health featuring UCF leadership and retired NFL players on Saturday, Jan. 27. This event begins with a champagne luncheon with former NFL pros (included in ticket price) honoring retired NFL players who attended UCF, including Bobby Spitulski ’98, Rick Hamilton ’98, Marquette Smith ’95 and Elgin Davis. Tickets are limited, so act fast!
5. UCF extended its lead in the War On I4 rivalry series over the weekend thanks to the men’s basketball team’s 71-69 road win. And it is with sad hearts that we pass along the news of Tacko Fall’s season-ending shoulder injury. We wish him well on his surgery this month!