1. Pretty uneventful weekend for Knight Nation, huh? Oh wait. Our Knights proved again that we are a team worthy of respect. The 1-0 mantra that has defined this season carried us all the way to 12-0, a 56-41 win over the Memphis Tigers and another AAC championship trophy. As Coach Heupel said Saturday night, “It wasn’t pretty early, but it was pretty late.” A special shout-out to all of our fans who proudly donned their black-and-gold, threw on a lei or two and brought the bounce to the Bounce House on Saturday night. It’s been an incredible season and we can’t wait for what’s next.
2. Speaking of what’s next…who’s coming with us to Arizona? It was announced yesterday during the College Football Playoff selection show that UCF is heading to the Fiesta Bowl to take on the LSU Tigers. And yes, we did just beat some Tigers. So let’s all plan to be at the State Farm Stadium on Jan. 1 to root our team on to do it again! At every game this season, our fans being in the stands cheering loud has been a pivotal factor in all the Ws we’ve pocketed. We need your support again! Get all the details on tickets, travel and the UCF ChargeOn Tailgate and we’ll see you there!
3. Each Indoor Tailgate is an opportunity for us to gather together in solidarity, around a common desire to get hyped with fellow Knights, but this past Saturday’s tailgate we also got to support a fellow Knight. In addition to our usual festivities (BBQ, Spirit Team, Getting-Ridiculously-Pumped-For-Another-Win) there was a banner for McKenzie Milton, created by a spirited group of alumni, for fans to sign with well wishes for #10.
This was our last Indoor Tailgate of the year and you all made it one to remember! Thank you for coming out this season and cheering hard. Check out pictures from the event here.
4. That underlying theme of Knights supporting Knights was certainly on display on Giving Tuesday last week! In one (1) day, 645 of you stepped up and donated $88,000 to more than 100 different UCF causes. That is big. That is really big. In fact, $88,000 is the most UCF has ever raised on Giving Tuesday. The most popular funds were Area of Greatest Need, First Generation Scholarships, Football Excellence Fund and the John and Martha Hitt Athletic Scholarship Fund. That means that $88,000 isn’t just some abstract number to read and move along from — it’s $88,00 toward furthering the education of worthy applicants who may not have had the chance to go to college. It’s $88,000 that helps us continue to recruit and develop excellent student-athletes. It’s $88,000 that will be the reason future leaders dream big and innovate without limits.
Thank you for being a part of Giving Tuesday! Especially the nearly 150 of you who served as social media ambassadors and shared the cause. (Wondering what this means and want to be one next time? We got you covered.)
5. Remember those cute little bears dressed in UCF Nursing scrubs? Of course you do, they were adorable. And last week they all officially found their homes! All of the 300 panda bears from the 2018 “Give Thanks, Give a Bear” campaign were sponsored, raising $15,000 for scholarships, faculty research and medical mission trips, and distributed to hospitalized children at multiple locations throughout Orlando. Thank you for being a part of this campaign, supporting UCF College of Nursing and bringing this smile to a child in our community.