1. It’s cap-and-gown week on campus! If you’re not yet in the alumni category, but will be on the other side of your commencement ceremony in the coming weeks, check out details here for our grad cap contest. We’ll be selecting winners in these five categories: Most School Spirit, Most Artistic, Most Inspirational Quote, Best Pop Culture Reference, and Most Likely to Keep Charging On. Don’t get us wrong, it’s a really big deal you’re getting your diploma and have done big things during your years at UCF. But, wouldn’t it be nice to add one more W?
2. This Wednesday, April 24 is Denim Day. On campus, everyone is encouraged to wear jeans in recognition of National Sexual Assault Awareness Month. But even if you don’t currently make your way to 4000 Central Florida Blvd. on Wednesdays, we still encourage you to participate wherever you do frequent to show your solidarity with survivors everywhere.
Welcome to the #UCFamily, Taylor 💛
Taylor will be part of the Inclusive Education Services program here at UCF. This spring, the first class of students will be recognized at commencement. pic.twitter.com/wtIR6vgRay
— UCF (@UCF) April 19, 2019
3. Our alumni family includes over 288,000 Knights, spanning from June of 1963 to today. That’s a lot of people and a lot of years to fill all kinds of different experiences and impressions of life as a Knight. But one of the things that unites us all is that big moment we got our acceptance letter and our UCF story began. Watch this feel-good video of Taylor receiving her acceptance letter into the Inclusive Education Services at UCF program. And welcome to the family, Taylor!
4. The momentum building around UCF athletics has no end in sight and this weekend our women’s tennis team proved that! With their win over USF for the American Athletic Conference trophy, the team secured an automatic bid to the 2019 NCAA Championship. Head coach Bryan Koniecko says “I’m just so happy for them, especially for our senior (Natalia Serrano), you want her to leave the right way and we did that this year. USF pushed us back a little bit late in the match, but we’re happy we clinched it. I’m just ready for our next practice and hopefully the culture we set this year continues on.”
5. Athletics isn’t the only thing building momentum around UCF these days. Our downtown campus, slated to be ready in time for the first day of fall classes on August 26, has growing energy and buzz around it. Michael Kilbride, the assistant vice president of the downtown campus, told the Orlando Sentinel, “It’s very exciting for Orlando that we’re going to be able to bring this game-changing program to life this fall.”