1.And the Emmy goes to…Jeremiah Graves ’12MS! This FIEA alumnus won a Daytime Emmy for ASTEROIDS!, an interactive short story starring two bumbling aliens.
2. Speaking of FIEA, you’ve got to see how alumna Karen McCarthy ’13MS is changing the game through her work at EA SPORTS. From meeting some of the world’s greatest athletes to getting more female characters into games, she’s making the video game world her own.
3. At this very moment, the latest issue of Pegasus is on its way to your mailbox! While you wait for your copy, get a head start with the online version.
4. Is This Really A Thing? If you find yourself asking this question about some of today’s biggest trends, you’ll love this new podcast by Paul Jarley, dean of the UCF College of Business. With the help of local experts, enthusiasts and all-around interesting people (like AD Danny White, Richard Lapchick, Ben Noel, Sean Snaith to name a few), Dean Jarley decides whether up-and-coming concepts and ideas have the potential to reshape the business landscape.
5. We’d like to take a moment to let our Knights in the Carolinas know we’re thinking of you. We hope you’ve remained safe and are headed back to normalcy soon.
With a win for No. 18 UCF Football and the wild success of our first Indoor Tailgate of the season, it was quite the weekend for Knights fans! If you had as much fun as we did, see if you can find yourself in our photo gallery – and don’t forget to mark your calendar for the next Indoor Tailgate on Sept. 21.
2. Another day, another ranking! U.S. News & World Report ranked UCF at No. 10 most innovative in its annual list of best colleges – above Harvard, Princeton, Duke and Johns Hopkins.
3. Is Pluto a Planet? New research from planetary scientist and UCF alumnus Philip Metzger suggests that it is! The debate is on, and we’re backing our guy in black and gold.
1.UCF FOOTBALL IS BACK THIS WEEK! We know our alumni are pumped for the season opener this Thursday against UConn. In fact, we have more than 30 official #UCFWatchParty locations across the nation where Knights fans will gather to cheer for a black and gold victory!
2. Speaking of football, our first home game is Saturday, Sept. 8 against South Carolina State. Get game day ready with this Fan Guide to UCF Football Season, featuring information on parking, tickets, traditions, and our favorite, Indoor Tailgates!
3. News from the heart of Downtown Orlando: UCF Downtown will open its doors to 7,700 students in less than a year! Take a look at how this game-changing campus will increase access for students and foster collaboration with our partners.
4. Our Knights are out of this world! The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation has awarded alumnus Larry Bradley ’94 the Neil Armstrong Award of Excellence for his contributions to space exploration. The foundation has also named two UCF students as Astronaut Scholars.
2. In his welcome message this morning, President Dale Whittaker shared that he will host two forums to hear what Knights want the future of UCF to look like. If you’d like to attend a forum, join us on Monday, Sept. 24 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the College of Medicine in Lake Nona or on Tuesday, Sept. 25 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Pegasus Ballroom at the UCF Student Union.
3. Chip on our shoulder? Maybe. The first Associated Press Top 25 Poll of the 2018 season was announced, and UCF Football came in at 21st in the nation.
4. Speaking of football season, there’s still time to stock up on game day gear! Get prepped for #UCFFansWear at UCFAlumKnights.com.
5. If you’re looking for a way to get involved with fellow Knights, look no further than our UCF Alumni events calendar. We’ve got events for our grads all over the nation!
Seriously, this is BIG! Tim Eggert ’02, alumnus of the Burnett Honors College and UCF College of Arts and Humanties, took his painting skills to the Orlando BIG Chair and turned it into a throne fit for Knight Nation. If his name sounds familiar, you might recognize Tim’s recent work as the designer for the new City of Orlando flag.
2. Following the Knights just got a whole lot easier, thanks to a newly-updated mobile app! Download it now to stay up to date with all things UCF Athletics.
3. How has your life changed since graduation? Show us, and you could win some sweet prizes! Enter our #KnightsThenVsNow contest on Instagram by this Friday – just make sure you check out the official rules for entry first!
4. We’re excited to share that UCF President Dale Whittaker will join us for the UCF ChargeOn Tailgate at UNC! Tailgate festivities will feature special appearances by UCF fan favorites, a catered breakfast buffet, three drink tickets per adult, a retractable stadium banner and a spirit sticker. Register now.
5. Speaking of our fearless leader, our UCF Alumni family wishes a very happy birthday to President Whittaker. May it be another great year of transforming lives and livelihoods.
We’re headed to Chapel Hill this fall! UCF fans of all ages are invited to join us for the UCF ChargeOn Tailgate ahead of the UCF vs. UNC game. Tailgate admission includes a breakfast buffet, drinks, a retractable stadium banner and a spirit sticker. To register for the tailgate, learn more about the event and get parking/transportation details, visit ucfalumni.com/ChargeOnTailgate.
3. More effort after a grueling practice? No thanks! Coach Heupel had a big surprise for the UCF Football team: a slip and slide, courtesy of the fire department. You’ve got to see this one for yourself!
4. Speaking of football, where are you watching the season opener against UConn? Hopefully, in the company of fellow Knights at a UCF watch party near you: www.ucfalumni.com/watchparties.
5. The fall semester is around the corner, and this year, UCF will celebrate its 50th anniversary of the first day of classes, so we want to hear from you! Alumni of all ages are encouraged to share throwback photos from their own first day as Knights. Photos and memories collected will be considered for use on UCF’s official social media platforms and news site, UCF Today. Please submit your photo by Aug. 15.
1. Six UCF students were awarded Fulbright scholarships to participate in international exchange programs that strengthen international partnerships and address mutual goals for global concerns. The Fulbright U.S. Student Program awards around 1,900 grants each year for students to study in more than 140 countries worldwide.
2. After an incredible undefeated season, reigning American Athletic Conference champion UCF Football has been selected to repeat as the league’s No. 1 team in The American’s 2018 preseason media poll. In our totally unbiased opinion, we completely agree!
3. UCF basketball fans, rejoice! Our hoops head coaches have signed extensions to stay with the Knights for a while longer, with Coach Abe at the helm of the women’s team until the 2022-23 season, and Coach Dawkins leading the men’s team through the 2023-24 season.
4. This weekend, our UCF alumni family will grow by just a few thousand more grads. If you can’t attend commencement in person, tune in for the livestream on the official University of Central Florida YouTube channel.
5. Speaking of grads, we know that many of you venture outside of Orlando after crossing the stage. Don’t let distance keep you away from your black and gold roots! Join a local UCF alumni chapter or club in your area.
1. A banner fundraising year brings UCF’s IGNITE campaign total to $400 million. Generous support for scholarships and faculty paired with enthusiasm for Knights’ performance on the field pushed the UCF Foundation to its best fundraising year since 2011.
2. UCF alumni Ajay Karakoti ’10PhD and Satyanarayana Kuchibhatla ’08PhD are in the process of developing a self-heating blanket that will protect infants from hypothermia in low- and middle-income regions, increasing their chances of survival. The blanket is ecofriendly, made of nontoxic materials and heats independent of any outside source.
3. The UCF College of Arts and Humanities Alumni Chapter invites all UCF alumni, students, faculty and staff to submit work for selection in the 10th Annual Eclectic Knights event at the Orlando Museum of Art on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2018. This Knight of Art will feature work in a variety of mediums by alumni, students, faculty and staff. The deadline for entry is Sunday, Aug. 12 at 4 p.m. and the entry fee is $25.
4. UCF FanFest has been announced for Saturday, Aug. 18 at 6:30 p.m.! Fans of all ages will have the chance to meet the 2018 UCF Football team and get pictures and autographs with your favorite Knights!
5. Our UCF Chapters and Clubs across the country are gearing up for another great year. From kickoff events to beach days to summer social hours, it’s never been easier (or more fun!) to get involved with a UCF Alumni Chapter or Club event near you.